Saturday 11 October 2014

Nothing To Fear Afterall

I dreaded going to the hospital primarily because the doctors will always have something to say about my blood sugar levels. The readings were defying regular intervention despite regular  exercises and my genuine attempt to eat well. This particular day was no different. I was nervous as I approached the nurses station. My palms were sweaty and I wondered why I'd not fainted yet as my heart beat was beating erratically.
Picture credit-freedigitalphotos.net.

 I'd been battling high sugar levels since my teenage years. Although I was not officially diagnosed with diabetes back then, my sugar level tend to creep up when I worried or was sick but nobody took it seriously. Gestational diabetes changed the diagnoses and its been a challenge since.Now you know why I panic at the sight of a medical appointment. However,I decided to do things differently following years of "diabetic intimidation. I got tired of letting diabetes control my happiness or the sight of a medical appointment sending jitters down my spine.
Photo credit freedigitalphotos.net
 With a smile and a little prayer, I went in to see the doctor. Waiting for any result is never easy but eventually the results came and the readings were normal. My best results in years. I'd not checked my sugar levels in months so had not noticed when the changes took place but it had. I'd been worrying over an issue that was no longer threatening. Fear stopped me from checking my sugars and same fear robbed me off joy every time I ate an extra apple or ate my favourite meal.
Freedigitalphotos.net
Fear is described with the acronym False Evidence Appearing Real. Its an evidence that is false despite its appearance. My new favourite pastor Jentezen Franklyn helped me understand this concept of fear better. He explained that when Jacob was presented with the blood soaked coat belonging to his son Joseph,he believed the evidence before him and wept many days. "And he recognised it and said "it is my son's tunic. A wild beast has devoured him. Without doubt Joseph is torn to pieces".
Jacob was deceived by what he saw but his son was alive as he would find out years later.  He spent days bound in mourning based on a false evidence appearing real.
freedigitalphotos.net
I also found interesting the Israelites encounter with Goliath in 1 Samuel 17. This gigantic bulk of a man would come out every morning to bully the Israelites. "for forty days the Philistine came forward every morning and evening and took his place" Vrs 16.
Notice he did nothing but intimidate the Israelites for forty good days without actually making good on his threats. For forty days the Israelites cowered before this bully who was all air. At the end of it all, it took a single sling shot from a simple shepherd boy to knock him down. BAM!!
If we look closely at the things that bother us through the lens of scriptures we find that there is really nothing to fear afterall. God has taken care of everything.
photo credit MSN lifestyle.
I no longer fear checking my sugar levels because now I know diabetes aint the boss of me. I do my part eating well and exercising and trust the word of God for the rest.
Don't let fear rid you of the opportunity to enjoy life. Fear is crippling. Don't be a victim. Like David bring out your sling shot which stands for the word of God and bring that Giant toppling down.
freedigitalphotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment