Thursday 2 October 2014

Give Willingly

There is nothing as upsetting as a gift that is given grudgingly. It is not only upsetting but downright disrespectful to the recipient.  The gift no matter the cost also losses its intrinsic value as  the recipient may not appreciate it knowing it's given grudgingly and not out of love. Both the giver and the recipient are therefore ultimately hurt in the process.

 What a platter of complication!! As a little girl when I wanted something badly, I'd, harangue my mother maybe not angrily but enough to get my way. In exasperation she'd grudgingly yield the object of my desire with a loud "gba je kin simi". "Gba je kin simi" is a statement in Yoruba which means "take and let me rest" implying an object is being handed over so the giver could have some semblance of rest or peace of mind.

 As a child it didn't matter how I was given the object of my desire as long as I got it, shikena! But not any more! I want a gift that is spurred from love not coercion.

In Paul's letter to the church in Corinth, he spoke highly about the Macedonian church who gave  as much as they could not out of compulsion but willingly. The emphasis was on the act of giving and its ensuing attitude . The gift  is important but so also is the condition of giving i.e. how it is given."for if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what he does not have" 2 Corinthian 8:12. 


God sets the perfect example on how to give. "He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for all of us all-how will he not also, along with Him, graciously give us all things" Romans 8:32.
To give graciously infers giving freely, generously, joyfully and liberally. How exciting!!
This attitude encompasses every aspect of giving, yourself, gifts, emotion. Never give anything half heartedly, it only demeans the gift. When next you give, check your heart and give willingly.



No comments:

Post a Comment