Thursday 5 June 2014

Why I forgive

Forgiveness is such a difficult concept to understand. it is difficult because it is contrary to the world system of beliefs. The nature of man is "tit for tat", be hit and hit back" but that is not the nature of God. In fact I remember a song that was popular when I was young titled "Face me" by popular Nigerian musician Sunny Neji. Although the song had its entertainment value, the underlying message was revenge. There was also a slogan that says "push me I push you God no vex". However I beg to differ! God is indeed "vexed" when we repay bad with bad. Scriptures says we are in the world but not of the world so we are not bound or operate by the world system. As Christians, we are expected to live a life that reflects Christ which can be seen when we forgive others though they hurt us. Someone rightly said Unforgiveness is like drinking poison and waiting for your enemy to die. It is futile and counter productive. The person that is most hurt by unforgiveness is the unforgiving person! it is torture to have hateful thoughts in your head. so why chose unforgiveness? I have heard the story of a lady that was bound in a wheelchair but there was no medical reason for her condition. During a deliverance session it was discovered that the cause of her problem unforgiveness. While she was confined to a wheel chair, the person that offended her was roaming "free". Abeg who come dey suffer? I forgive because I was forgiven. "Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you".Colossians 3:13. I am constantly reminded that while I was yet a sinner Christ died for me so who am I to hold a grudge? 2. Forgiveness makes me free. I am not bound but free. why waste mental or psycological strength on what is not profitable because unforgivess is unprofitable in the long run. Forgiveness allows God work in me and heal my hurt. 3. It releases my offenders into God's hands. According to Joyce Meyer "in trying to get revenge or take care of the situation instead of trusting God, He is not obliged to deal with the person."Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord".Romans 12:19. God will deal with those that hurt us. 4. Unforgiveness hinders my prayers "Therefore if you are presenting your offering at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your offering there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and present your offering" Matthew 5:23-24 5. Unforgiveness hinders fellowship with God 6. Unforgiveness is the root of bitterness. It gives the devil a foothold into a believers life. 7.life is too short to short to live in bitterness. 8. I forgive because its the right thing to do! No excuse, no justification!! its just the right thing to do. 9. Forgiveness is a virture."Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things" Philippians 4:8. Forgiveness is not easy but it a choice and a command from God. It allows God to be God in a believers life. It takes focus off you, the other person and is God centred. Sometimes the first person to forgive is yourself-for allowing yourself to be hurt, used or deceived again. But forgive anyways! "UNFORGIVENESS IS SPIRITUAL FILTHINESS SO GET WASHED IN THE WATER OF GOD'S WORD TO FORGIVE AND STAY CLEAN", Joyce Meyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment