Thursday 11 September 2014

Focus on the right things.

It is so easy to be distracted when mistakes happen especially when you've invested so much in a person or project or have a set mindset  on the outcome of a situation. For some, the initial reaction when things go wrong is to "blow a fuse" or throw a major fuss either covertly or overtly. I was such a major drama queen that I would rummage over seeming bad situation for ages like a rabid dog with a bone until God helped  change my perspective. In the early years when my son was diagnosed with autism, I couldn't see beyond his diagnoses. I focused on what he couldn't do instead of focusing and encouraging his strengths which he had aplenty. For some inexplicable reasons, I couldn't bring my heart to see the beauty that was this gift of mine. This went on until I realised the problem was not my son nor his diagnoses but my perception of the situation.. My view was distorted and I needed to have my minds eye reset. Truth is, things will not always be the way we want but we can choose to dwell on the negatives or simply celebrate the positives no matter how little it might seem. A positive attitude can only stem from a grateful heart.
Some time in July, I organised a programme titled "LAUGH OUT LOUD", Comedy Comes to Church. The turn out was impressive and the guests had a swell time. In fact, the feedback was astounding except for one little glitch-THE DJ. The DJ was crap!! The joy of a successful programme was almost swallowed up by a tiny scratch in my plans. I almost forgot the unbridled laughter and fun that everyone had because of one tiny error that I couldn't help despite my frantic effort...until the Holy Spirit checked my errant thoughts. The bible rightly says "do not be ignorant of the devices of the devil" 2 Cor 2:11. Focusing on the right thing is a habit that can be learnt daily and consciously until it happens spontaneously. It has to be deliberate and it is a choice that only you can make. It is choosing to be joyful no matter the situation.  I have learnt to see life through heaven' lens and I am thankful. No longer do I see Josh through his challenges rather I see a wealth of opportunities waiting to be discovered in that treasure that is my boy.  Focusing on the wrong thing is a strategy of the enemy and don't ever forget that.

My look at the LOL comedy evening. More Pictures coming soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment