Monday 24 September 2012

.............and God showed up.

"Lord, what's going on?, I asked. I'd been in church for over an hour and no other member of the choir had shown up. Some members had given their excuses but what about the others I mused. "when last did you trully pray for the choir? asked that gentle, familiar, silent but audible voice. "before you start playing the sanctimonious leader check yourself". Immediately, my prayer stance changed and I spent the next thirty minutes praying."lord, I'm sorry! help me out here" I cried. Attendance at the choir rehearsals had been dwinling over time. It seems the members had simply lost interest or the fire had died. Ministrations had grown cold, robotic and bland. The downward spiral started after we had our 3-day summer prayer and fasting program. I guess we were so engrossed in the success of the event that we'd allowed things to slip.
Lesson learnt! following my dialogue with the holy spirit, I did not reprimand my members rather charged them with the seriousness of the business at hand. It just wouldnt do to let our guards down or be puffed up with the mercy showers we had been enjoying. The "special number" was abysmal, barely there, as our lack of preparation showed in our rendition. Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatever a man sows, that shall he also reap",(Gal 6:7). Also 2 Corinthians 9:6 "Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously". God works with and by principles. We had sown nothing so we reaped nothing. Lesson learnt! Attendance improved slightly at the next reharsals-3 people turned up(that number included me) but I wasn't fazed. Interestingly, the three of us that showed up werent that musically inclined but WE WERE AVAILABLE. The song we chose to minister was a bit tecnical but I wasn't fazed. I was prayed up and ready to give it my ultimate best even the technical bit. "aunty, should we do the brige? Rachel asked. "its a bit techy". "yes, I answered with much emphasis. "especially the bridge. God will show up", I continued with a smile. My confidence stemmed up more from God's faithfulness not so much my ability to hold a note(have you heard me sing?....lololol. my familiy still dont believe I'm in the choir...don't tell them I'm even in charge..lol). And yes! God showed up that sunday. The ministration was awesome. we were not overly prepared but we were a yielded and willing instrument in the hands of God. I was humbled...and I'm humbled still. Lesson learnt! "Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commandments".(Deuteronomy 7:9)God indeed works by principle. when we do our part He will back us up. Now I'll share the original version of the song we ministered. Its "I NEED YOU" BY EDDIE JAMES.

No comments:

Post a Comment