Thursday 3 January 2013

Little distractions

"Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God" Hebrews 12:2 "Josh, we are home", I called out as the train pulled into the station. I struggled with my shopping bags while managing to pull Joshua out of the train at the same time. Something wasn't right I thought as I alighted but I couldn’t put my finger to it. I quickly looked around me. I had sat in the last coach so it took a moment to walk to the station building. "Something is definitely wrong I muttered to myself and hurried towards the next available coach. Everything looked as it ought to until I got closer to the station building "What station is this? I asked the traffic controller who was right in front me. "Kildare, what stop are you going to? He asked. "Athy, I answered, quickly jumping back into the train with Josh and my plenty bags. I had gotten off at the wrong stop! I've been taking the Waterford train for the past seven years and consider myself King of the route but today I found myself missing the way. All it took was a simple distraction. I'd been watching a video on my phone and enjoying some good old mother-son bonding time with Joshua that I'd not noted the stations as the train zoomed on. When the train pulled into Kildare, I just assumed it was my expected destination and jumped out into the cold with Joshua. Thank God the train pulled into Kildare station ahead of schedule and had to wait a while if not I would have been stranded and made to wait for the next Waterford bound train which was an hour away. An hour wait isn't too bad you may think but at that time I had a very hungry little boy who couldn't wait to get home to dinner and prayer meeting to get to. Being stranded with a hungry boy wasn't part of my plans for the day. Everything was hey ok until the seemingly harmless on board entertainment became an unwelcome distraction. Lesson Learnt! It takes a simple distraction to lose the plot in 2013.
Even the most carefully laid plans and resolutions can go up in flames if not well adhered to. Sometimes the distractions we allow are harmless enough but the consequences dire. You cheat on a diet once or twice and believe me its hard to get back on track. I've purposed not to be slothful or presumptuous this year. It’s not going to be easy but I'm ready to go the whole nine yards. I'm determined to MAKE IT. Next time I'll leave the entertainment for later and concentrate on the journey. Ecclesiastes 3:1 there is a time for everything and a season for every activity under the heavens. I was lucky to get back on the train but on some of life's issue it might not be that simple. So take heed this 2013. FOCUS IS THE KEY. KEEP TO THE GOAL. WE ARE GOING TO MAKE IT Picture curtesy www.zdnet.com

No comments:

Post a Comment