Friday 17 January 2014

The shattered plate.

.I mistakenly broke a plate while doing the dishes this morning. The plate had somehow fallen off the plate rack where I'd placed it precariously. Somehow I knew its position was accident prone but given my "plate racking expertise" I felt I could quickly get through the rest of the dirty dishes before putting all the dishes in their proper positions. As I tried balancing another plate on my "leaning tower of dishes" everything came toppling down with a cloud clatter of ear tingling and cringe worthy noise. Of course, my frenzied attempt to save this particular plate as you can deduce failed. Its been ages since I broke anything, I'm usually very careful about such things except for burning rice..lol. Without much ado, I picked up the scattered pieces of my broken plates and continued with my chores. Simple as it may sound I had two choices. 1. make a huge fuss about the broken plate. 2. pick up the pieces of shattered plate, dump it in the bin and continue with my chores-AFTERALL ACCIDENTS DO HAPPEN. Thank God, I chose the latter. Over time, I've learnt this principle applies in most negative situations that happen in life. You either make a huge fuss and remain plugged into that unwholesome situation or you count your losses and MOVE ON. For example your boyfriend of many years breaks up with you, painful as it is but a hurtful yet quick break is much better than a life time of regrets. I had a friend who was in a very unhealthy relationship for years but felt obligated to remain with her partner. In the long run, they got married and it ended in a very messy divorce after just a few years spent together in abuse. My former boss once told me how a friend's wife called him up in the middle of the night to help talk the husband off suicidal notions. The man had lost a lot of money in poor investments and was neck deep in debts. My boss drove to the man's house found him crying and to the poor man's dismay laughed in his face. You see, my boss laughed because he'd been in that position plenty times but had learnt to count his losses and move on to the next venture. Now he owns a thriving business empire. Imagine, what would have happened if he'd given up in the first few attempts. There was a time I would have won an Oscar for best actress in the movie "theatrics of a Shattered plate". I would have bemoaned how difficult life is given my disability( I lost 3 fingers on my right hand in a motor accident), or how life would have been easy if I had a husband to help me do the dishes etc....but I DIDN'T. Moaning, complaining and wishing will never put the broken dish together again!Most times, it is not so much in the value of what is broken but the fact that if it cannot be mended MOVE ON."The LORD said to Samuel, "How long will you mourn for Saul, since I have rejected him as king over Israel? Fill your horn with oil and be on your way; I am sending you to Jesse of Bethlehem. I have chosen one of his sons to be king." (1 SAM 16:1) . The lord acknowledge Samuel's mourning of Saul but also pushed the prophet into the next action plan. No use crying over spilt milk ask the milk maid. What has been shattered in your life or specifically what have you shattered? . I have learnt that accidents do happen in life but you have a choice. you either let the situation define you and become bitter or you flip your hair and MOVE ON....hope you chose the latter, In the long run you'll discover it was not worth the fuss in the first place

No comments:

Post a Comment