Saturday 25 January 2014

The bucket list.

I watched an amazing programme that featured a woman dying of cancer. she had a few weeks to live but seemed unfazed with the notion of death. Instead, she made a bucket list of the things she'd like to do before death comes knocking.Oddly enough her list did not include travelling the world or going for incredible adventures unlike what we see in movies but simple things like spending quality time with family. Her reason was after all is said and done "FAMILY IS WHAT MATTERS". The irony of the issue was that this sweet lady was never a jet setting lady or high flying socialite in the first place but a simple family woman. she'd spent most her of life with family and when push came to shove, her family was all that counted. The other day I read an interesting quote that said "the only thing that you'll take to heaven that would matter is PEOPLE and not THINGS. If that quote is true then WHY ARE PEOPLE SO ENGROSSED WITH THINGS? we treat things better than people! The other day Josh mistakenly poured juice in my car and my immediate reaction was to scream like a banshee in heat! After I got over my self, I felt ashamed. The mess made in the car can be easily cleaned but childish tantrum over a little accident could leave a terrible scar on a little boy. Later I thought to myself, what memories would I love my lil boy to have of me-the screaming witch or loving mum? Things can be replaced but not people especially when you are blessed with wonderful friends and family. Back to the bucket list! If you were to make a bucket list what would it contain? As for me, I would be less selfish and self centred(yeah, I could be that sometimes), be more brave and less fearful,take a chance in love, spend time with the people that matter because seriously its not everyone that deserves your time and attention. Emotions like anger, bitterness, regrets, etc don't deserve your time either. After all is said and done, the things that would really truly matter at the end of the day are the relationships we forged, the impact we made in people's lives and the memories we leave behind. By the way, you don't need death to come knocking to re-prioritise your life. You owe it to yourself to live a FULL AND ENRICHING LIFE so you can boldly say like the Apostle paul did in 2 Tim 4:7-8 "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing". The reality is its not everyone that would have the privilege of making a bucket list AND YOU DON'T NEED DEATH TO COME KNOCKING TO MAKE ONE. THINK ABOUT IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment