Monday 17 December 2012

Laughing out loud.......The Grace Factor

"lololool....” I chuckled as I watched the choir struggle to learn the song for Sunday's ministration. Sister Temilola looked so serious with a hint of a twinkle in her eyes knowing she had missed her lines. As for the younger ones-they were lost in the drama of the song yet enjoying every moment of the rehearsals. "lololololo"....This time around, I couldn't control myself but burst into unbridled laughter. wow! How did I find myself here? How did I find myself in the midst of a motley crew of people with no singing experience whatsoever! None of us could hold a musical note even if our lives depended on it. I was not only a member of this motley crew but also the queen of the crew (yeah, you heard that right...lol). but seriously, someone has a lot of explaining to do. Someone who can't sing, leading a group of people who can’t sing professionally, think of a well cut-out job for a novice(custom made wahala). My friends in Nigeria laugh their heads off when I tell them I'm in the Choir. "who put you there? they ask and have a good laugh at my expense. (no be una fault...yeye people. Lol). I tend to ask myself that question too. This piece is being written by a girl who was practically chased out of the choir in Nigeria because I couldn't sing. The first time was in the university. My group in the church had decided to render a Christmas carol as part of events marking the end of year celebrations. After hearing my voice, the head of the group did not have the heart to drop my part but managed to squeeze in a space for my special singing abilities. (My very good friend consoled me with the assurance that at least I looked good on camera) The second time around, the lady in charge held nothing back and told me "Gladys, you’re better off not singing at all but later allowed me to sing the YAH in HALLELUYAH. (wicked Tunwashe...lol). After that, I gave up the my vision of being Nigeria's own Celine Dion.*sigh* I joined the choir in Ireland as a result of a series of unfortunate incidents. The church had split and very few members were left. I noticed a niche in the choir and decided to join and help out. Your guess is as good as mine, they had no choice but to accept me..lol! I later told God that If I had to do this then I had to do it right. I prayed for the grace to sing and here we are today. I still don't know much about singing but I do know about "God's grace to help". Same with my crew. I work with a group of people who are not perfect by the world's standard but are ready and willing to sing the praise of their God. And that's the heart God is seeking. John 4:23 "Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks". The world has certain rules and guides on how things are done and what qualifies people for certain positions but IT IS GRACE THAT QAULIFIES not any special qualification or abilities. The Samaritan woman in John 4 had lived her life weighed down by where and how one ought to worship until she meet Jesus (what a relief she would have felt. No more climbing the mountain or travelling up to Jerusalem to worship) Unfortunately most Christians are still bound by rules, rules, and more rules. Imagine the shock experienced by so called learned folks when Peter and John faced them in the temple proclaiming the gospel of Jesus. They acknowledged that the two disciples were simple men ordinary *bloody Fishermen*( for good measures). When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus . Peter and Job were not qualified to address the Sanhedrin but Grace showed them up (in your face Sanhedrin people...that's how we roll in Jesus). 1Cor 1:27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong Ever wondered why certain people seem to do something so well without the apparent no-how? It’s simply the GRACE FACTOR. I've got friends in ministry even in everyday businesses who find themselves doing what they are doing and doing it well nonetheless. No Masters or PHD but a heart that pants after God. My crew and I have a LOOOOOONG way to go but appreciate God for choosing and using us anyways. We've gone for ministerations in other churches that God showed up not because of our singing proweress but "FOR HIS GREAT NAME SAKE". How AWESOME. Amazing things do happen when a heart is yielded and trusting in God The following day's service was HILARIOUS!!!. Of course, I forgot the lyrics of the song, sang off key but danced through it all. God loves me still and I'll keep singing to His glory. Go on, have a good laugh at my expense. God really does have a sense of humour.lololol

No comments:

Post a Comment