Everyone resolves to improve at least one aspect of their life every new year. Gym memberships soar in the first month with people looking to make lifestyle changes in the new year only to lose steam before the second month. Its a vicious cycle that occurs every year as only few people stick to their plans up till the end of the year. It was a quagmire I found myself too until I discovered the strategy for achieving ones goals.
For a number of people 2014 was rife with pockets of challenges but was also laden with buckets of opportunities. Many people did not achieve all they set out to achieve last year but 2015 is another opportunity to achieve your goals. Don't despair about the errors of the past year but learn from them and restrategise your goals in the New year.
As you sit down to make those ever important and necessary resolutions, here are certain facts to consider..
- Resolutions are not wishes but visions and plans for an effective and impact life.
- Wishes are left to happen-stance but the fruits of resolutions are products of concerted and concious efforts
- It must be written: "write the vision down" Habakkuk 2:2. Writing is a system of documentation that can be used as references.
- Make it plain: your plan must be clear, easy to understand, well articulated and clutter free. You don't need to have too much going on. leave the jibber jabber to Einstein and other braniacs.
- Read it out to yourself not in future tense but describe your achievement in the NOW e.g I am a healthy eater. "with the heart one believes and is justified and with mouth one confesses and is saved " Romans 10:10
- It requires commitment. if its desirable then put your and heart back into it.
- Discipline is crucial to its success.
- Determination means firmness of purpose. You must be resolved to achieve your goals. Read Daniel resolve not to defile himself in Daniel 1:8
- Consistency: this is the ability to do right thing everyday without giving up no matter the situation or prevailing circumstance. Just keep at your goals.
- Invest your time and resources into it.
- review your progress along the way
- get someone to go the journey with you; Share your goals with someone who's passionate on impactful living as you.
- Envisage your reward. "Looking unto Jesus the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him,endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne God" Hebrews 12:2
The other underlying principles are prayer, faith, and grace "in their hearts humans plan their course but the lord establishes their steps" proverbs 16:9.
"in all your way submit to him and he will make your path straight" Proverbs 3:6.