Friday 23 November 2012

Nothing to fear after all

"I hope he likes this food oh", I muttered under my breath. "I'm seriously not in the mood for little boy tantrums. “OH God let Josh eat his lunch without any drama", I prayed while dishing his lunch of boiled potatoes and chicken curry sauce into a bowl. From the corner of my eyes, I watched as he hopped to the dining table and without much ado started eating his food with a smile and even a twinkle in eye. With baby fingers, he picked up the vegetables in the food and started humming a nursery rhyme oblivious to the stunned look on my face! You might be wondering what the fuss is all about in serving lunch to a 6 year old boy! Well, the thing is Josh does not eat potatoes no matter what it is smothered in for lunch! My son prefers pounded yam (a delicacy favoured by Nigerians and some Africans). He loves it so much that it has to be ready and waiting for him when he gets home from school. He doesn't mind having it three times a day if given. Wonder where he got that from? Hmmmmm! Ok! I confess! It’s me! *sighs* I love food. Nothing gets between me and my food (and it shows....please pray for me). While pregnant with josh, I was heavily diabetic and practically spent a better part of the nine months in the hospital. Despite my condition, I would sneak out of the hospital to eat pounded yam and egusi soup at an African restaurant (talk of being irresponsible! I knew the food was bad for me because of its high starchy contents but I couldn't resist its allure...sob! who wouldn't be?...sob).
Aside from genetically transferring the love for poundy to my son (it is possible....lol), a friend of mine gave Josh his first taste of the food when he was just eight months old. Since then my friends, there has been no looking back! Lol. Now you understand my fear when I served him potatoes and not his favourite food! After watching him gobble his food with relish, I realised there was no reason to fear after all. I'd been stressing myself for nothing. Phew! Have you been there before? I have and many times over. You panic over something only to discover there was nothing to fear in the first place. Worry takes away peace and rubs one the joy of enjoying the moment. We don't have to worry or live in fear. 2 Timothy 1:7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. Fear is the opposite of faith and Heb 11:6 says "and without Faith it impossible please God". Fear negates the power and supremacy of God concerning a given situation. Having no fear doesn't infer the license to be irresponble or throwing caution to the wind but simple obedience and trust in God-In His ability to take care of YOU. With Joshua, I allowed my fear of his tantrums control me instead of the other way round. I realised that I was not helping him by allowing him have his way all the time. I understand and appreciate his love for pounded yam but it’s my duty as his mother to weave other meals into his diet. Next stop.......Sandwich! And so help me God.

No comments:

Post a Comment