Saturday 3 July 2010

It's ok to turn off the T.V

Everyone has a weakness. Believe it or not mine is television. It started with Buffy the vampire slayer when i was pregnant and bored out of my wits never mind despodent and alone.I could sit hours on end and watch one cleverly weaved episode of Coronation Street and Emmadale, one after the other with no care for the outside world. I guess it was a way of escape for me. A desired and deserved escape into the world of fantasy. My friends knew never to disturb me when any of my fav programmes were showing.
With satelite television came the birth of my obsession with Homer Simpson, the beloved hero and simpleton of Springfield.I am unashammedly in love and maybe in tune with dearest homer.Dohhhh!nothing comes between me and my homy not even you.

However in the past couple of weeks and more determinedly in the last few days, I have learnt to switch off the t.v to spend quality play time with joshua. we sit together on the floor and do whatever game comes to mind. Believe me its time well spent.
As parents or individuals technology has taken its toll on the amount of quality time we spend with each other.its either facebook or the latest gadget i.e phone Ipod or the most dreaded-work!
A constant sight on the train, bus or casual stroll is a tenager with head buried in a fancy toy, ear plugs and music blaring not noticing or caring about whose seated close by or walking past. Technology has replaced relationships-no body smiles in greeting or even bother to say hello anymore.It has moved from the level of entertaiment to clear cut obsession with most people.
There is just too much noise and distraction all around us. Aside from these, there's the daily hustle and bustle.Couples barely see each other nor spend quality time with their kids. No wonder the society is becoming dyfunctional and divource rates on the increase.everyone is busy is in search of the proverbial golden fleece.
After concluding my course in June,I decided to keep other plans on hold and spend time with my boo at least till he starts junior infant.it was a hard decision but one that was imperative.Ofcourse like most single mothers i need the extra money, but money can not equate time invested in his young life.There is so much that teachers and nannies can do but the bulk work lies with the parent. Time also flies by so quick you wonder where the years have gone and before you know it, he'll be introducing me to his girlfriend. This new level of positive parenting is a new level for me to think motherhood never came easy to me. Its still a challenge but everyday is a new experience and requires a new level of grace.
We are responsible for the next genration and generations yet unborn. Every behaviour is an example aptly absorbed and emulated by our children.so be carefull what you say or do around the kids. Arguements between parents should not turn out to be full fledged shouting war or God forbid wrestling bouts. Yep, the bills have to be paid but you dont have to take every avalaible extra shifts at work. Back in Nigeria 5 years ago, most saturdays were bonding time for my younger sister and I. no matter how hectic my work schedule was, i did my best to free my weekends for her as i was the mother figure she had afte we lost our mum in 2000.
No one said the journey was going to be easy but hey its a priviledge to be mothers/parents.
So i'm loggiong off very soon to read a story to josh, roll some more on the floor and sing Incy wincy spider. yep,I'll be turning off the television.

No comments:

Post a Comment