Talk about being put on the spot!! An initial response to such an absurd request would be "there is nothing to laugh about in that setting". Mind you the request was not to find something to joke about the corpse but to find things to joke about IN that environment!
The Israelites found themselves in such a situation ages ago. Captive in a foreign land, far from home and everything familiar. To make matters worse their captors expected them to make a merry song in their situation. Psalm 137:4 " how can we sing the songs of the lord while in a foreign land". They did not have to make up a song, the song of zion was in them already just as it is in us but they had a problem with singing in a foreign land!! Don't we all sometimes.
No matter how careful we are, we will find ourselves in a "foreign land" sometimes. A foreign land could be a divorce, sickness, bankruptcy etc. It is an adverse and contrary situation. Who laughs in that kind of situation? How do you laugh in the midst of adversity?
Truths to note
- Anybody can laugh in good times but It takes a heart that is grounded, matured and trusts in God to rejoice in the midst of trial. Paul and Silas sang and prayed the prison doors down. Act 16:25
- Looking eyes see.You have to look beyond the pain to really see.
- Even the small things count If you consider them closely.
- 1 Thessalonian 5:18- give thanks in all circumstances. In the midst of the storm be thankful
- laughter makes trying situations a bit more tolerable .I. e it smoothen's the rough edges.
- You are alive, there is hope and " hope maketh not ashamed". Hope fuels faith.
- its a show of strength.
I must say it was a hard thing to ask but not impossible; if it were the request would not have been made. Alibaba had seen possible joke materials at the event that's why he made the seemingly difficult demand on his protégée. The request was to enable his intern push the envelope and expand his mind; take him from the level of mediocrity to excellence. Basketmouth is better off with the "hardline training he got. God expects his children to find joy in every situation. IT GROWS YOU. Your ability to find elements of joy in dreary situations stands you out on a different level and that my friend is something else.
|Photo credit. Www.hack writers. Com|